Here I am in Londonnnnnnn [normally I would insert a picture here, but I made the horrible discovery that I forgot my camera cord at home. This is a tragedy for us all].
I am having a blast. I walked many, many miles today, which has affected both my feet and my brain, so I'll stick to some quick bulletpoints.
I like London's particular brand of dirtiness. It's gritty and well-worn, and somehow feels established in a different way than New York or Boston.
I bought a pint (or whatever a pint is here) of raspberries from a fruit stand. Minus the little green inchworm crawling on one of them, they were delicious.
I walked to the Tate Modern, stopping in whatever little hidden gardens I so chose. I love how they just pop up in the most unexpected places. I wandered around looking for St. Paul's Cathedral on the way, and finally had to stop and ask someone. i think he was a rent-a-bobby. He said that he had a feeling I'd stop and ask directions-- I looked at the "end of my tether." He gave me a piece of candy, oddly, then took me out to the street facing one way, and with great pomp and circumstance told me to turn around. There was St. Paul's, looming above the street. Ahem. yes. It's not my fault; the buildings were blocking the view on the street I had just been on.
St. Paul's cost 10 pounds so I didn't get the tour. I planned on getting back to catch the Evensong service, but somehow my watch stopped for an hour and I missed it :(. I was quite put-out.
The Tate was Great. I think that the MOMA should follow their cue and be FREE. I did have to pay for the special Cy Twombly exhibit, but it was worth it. I spent over 2 hours going through all 12 rooms, and I have to say it was awesome to not have to worry about anyone else being bored out of their skulls. So far the independent travel thing is working out fine, but I'm really happy that I'll be seeing Karena tomorrow.
I'm about to run out of minutes in the ol' internet cafe, so I'll stop for now. More to come! Thanks for all the love and prayers... i feel very buoyed up. (Buoyed...what a weird word).
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
THAT'S MY GIRL
yay! Melissa, I am so ridiculously excited for you! Thanks for being willing to share your adventures.
No pictures until you get home?! sigh.
Wow! You're realy in Enga-land!!! How utterly cool!!! Glad the pint waren't from a pub... ...Ummm--have you unscrambled the language yet?
Are you keepin' the lil' green guy as a Mascot?
Hooray, hooray...am looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Give my love to the Cambridge folks.
My Melissa! this is a dream come true. Go, my girl. (Can't someone mail you your camera thingy?)
your doting grandmother
I'll start praying for you to feel goiled up!
Your rent-a-bobby exchange reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, which, in honor of you being in England, I'll leave with you now:
"When you visit Britain, you realize that although it is a normal country in many ways, some things about it are deeply odd -- for instance, they drive on the left, they use the metric system, and their language, while deceptively similar to English, is often incomprehensible." -- James Taranto
Post a Comment