Tuesday, September 16, 2008

If I don't come back, I'll be in Iona.

I know it's been a little while... my last day in Edinburgh was great.

But today... all else pales. It started rainy and dreary enough, but as I quick-marched/ran to the ferry at 7:30 am, I just new that it was going to be a glorious day. I was tracing Andrew's travels on the Isle of Mull, going somewhat blindly besides the 4 sentences or so he recorded in his journal (why did he spend so much time writing about what he ate?). The bus ride from Craignure to Fionnphort was incredible... I just can't get over how water just falls tumbling down the high hills in deeply grooved rivulets. And the moors and marshes and dells (now I know what a dell really looks like. As magical as you'd imagine), and the sheep bounding away from the train in fluffy fury, and the distant farm smack dab in the middle of glorious nowhere.

And then, Iona. I wandered past idyllic gardens and cottages overlooking, well, heaven really, and then I found the sea. I found the sea as I've never found it before, and laughed and cried at how unbearably beautiful it was. I'm too small for it. The rocks were white with this crazy bright gold lichen, set against the startlingly bright blue of the water (dowright Mediterranean), and then there was the spread of moor and grassy cliffs and red granite of Mull.

I'm out of time. more soon.

15 comments:

kw said...

Melissa..you make me cry:) Hey-you know how you said the kids in L's class have such unheard of names? Well I forgot to tell you she had a great friend last year named Iona!:)

Anonymous said...

Lovely description. I'd like to see that red granite. Ronda

Anonymous said...

I never consciously wanted to go to Scotland before, but now I do! Thanks for all the great word pictures! Love, Aunt Helen

Laughter said...

Man alive, I got teary-eyed reading this out loud to Lisa. You're an artist with words too.

Anonymous said...

You should write a book about your travels, Meliss. Your words are so beautiful and poetic, and very very moving. I'm glad you're having such a good time :)

Love,
Kristin

Carol said...

Thank you, Melissa, I felt as though I were right there...you described it all so beautifully...I am so glad you are blogging this and allowing us share in your reflections with each part of your journey.
Peace,
Carol

ljm said...

I hope you weren't almost stranded there because you spent too much on a mug for your sister which says Iona on it!

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I have always wanted to see Scotland...I still do--more than ever...

Anonymous said...

Melissa! I'm so happy you are having a great time!

We are all gathered around the computer in the WC reading your blog! It's super! Have fun and much love! <3 :D

Nick @ RIC

KJ said...

I read with a smile on my lips, and a satisfied heart, filled with aching joy for you, m'dear! Keep drinking it in. I love you!

lis said...

Happiness is...reading Melissa. And ditto to what Rachel said. Love and prayers!

Hope said...

you're amazing. (Just a reminder.)

Anonymous said...

you say you found the ocean as you've never found it before,

but what if it was finding you this way for the first time,
seeping into your conscience (as is, actively seeing and breathing)?

these words you wrote are very much appreciated. especially the part about the ocean.

i hope to see you soon and talk with you about all the wonderful things that come to our minds!

Unknown said...

"Laughter" said that melissa is an artist with words, and that's how her friends in the Writing Center at RIC came to know her first. As Nick said, Melissa, we're all avidly reading your blog and loving the fact that any journey you take is always so much more than mere travel trough space, mere sight-seeing.

Love,
Meg

jaymwoodward said...

Melissa, I am really excited to see you following your heart and pursuing your desires, and sharing your adventures along the way. You are bold and daring, and a real inspiration to me. Enjoy the rest of your journey! Blessings, Jay