I loved being able to see the edge of the canvas inside the frame. That means that it was actually on an easel once, in Caravaggio's studio, and he used actual brushes and oils to get all those crazy impossible light sources to work.
This contemporary piece by Alfiero Nena was in the same church as The Conversion of St. Paul. It was a little startling at first, but the more I looked at it the more its power blew me away. Wrists pierced but not held down-- bound, yet Freedom itself.
I won't talk about every piece of art I saw, I promise. But Bernini's sculptures at the Villa Borghese left me breathless. I overheard a guide (I hover when I hear English and steal a few snippets of a free tour now and then) say that Apollo and Daphne was a miracle. I'd have to agree. And his David was spectacular as well (I couldn't take pictures, so you'll have to do research on your own). As I was walking through the museum, the temptation to touch the marble became unbearable. So I sneaked back to the David room and stood around nonchalantly until there was no one in the room or within eyeshot. Then I did it. I touched the foot. ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! What a rush. I am a destroyer of antiquities.
I also loved my entire day at the Vatican. I had no idea that there was such a massive collection of modern religious art-- the whole exhibit was fascinating. I sometimes think that it's all been done before... can anything new be said with the same imagery (there must be 34,000 Madonnas and Child in Italy alone). Turns out, yes. Having such a focused exhibition made me think a lot more about the idea behind the image. I'm inspired.
And then there was the Sistine Chapel, and other art, all day, all the time. Nothing compares to seeing these things in person.
I even got to the Colosseum a few hours before I left for the airport.
And of course now I'm in Paris...and now that I'm caught up on Rome maybe sometime I'll write about its own brand of awesomeness. I'm loving it!
9 comments:
longing...
It looks wonderful.
Thanks for sharing and Shabbat Shalom.
Did you know that the Trevi is spring fed?LOVE IT!
WOW. That's incredible.... so happy you're seeing it for real - and thanks for sharing the pictures!
I'm jealous, it all sounds wonderful! We had the option of extending our layover in Rome on our way home from Greece, but didn't. Someday...
Thanks for showing the photos and explaining your love for a few art pieces.
Me thinks I'm green...
Melissa,
la signorina bellissima,
I am so happy you got to have this/these experience/experiences. Thank you for sharing. Lis and I went to Rome 30 years ago; the Coliseum looks about the same. The Pieta, Oh, the Pieta.
Ciao bene,
Lorenzo
i miss u:)
eeeek...didn't mean to be anonymous..sorry, that was me-kw
MB,
I've been reading your posts with a perpetual tear rolling down my cheek. I can't begin to describe how your words form images in head, memories really, of my time in Europe. You bring it back to life for me. When you speak of Bernini, I am with you, literally. He is my favorite; I chased down his ghost during my time in Rome, like you with Caravaggio. Don't tell, but I had that same 'illegal' pawing of the art: David, Daphne, Apollo.
I loved how you put it: “What a rush. I am a destroyer of antiquities.”
My soul is at peace that you are home.
P.S. I am so excited to hear that you have decided to spend a week with me in Philly ;)
Post a Comment